Friday, May 29, 2009

Stone Arches


Stone Arches, originally uploaded by M. Rosenberg.

The Rockville Bridge, at the time of its completion in 1902, was the longest stone masonry arch railroad viaduct in the world. Constructed between 1900 - 1902 by the Pennsylvania Railroad, it has forty-eight 70-foot spans, for a total length of 3,820 feet (1,164 m).

In hindsight, I think the other side of the bridge may be more interesting. I'll have to check that out next time I'm in Central Pennsylvania.

This shot was made from three exposures, -2, 0, +2, merged in Photomatrix. I think added the texturing and border in Photoshop. I also toned down the colors to make it a bit less vibrant, which I think fits. A lot of the yellow/orange color your seeing actually comes from the texture layered over top of the shot.

No comments: