Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Screech on Screech: A Must Read

It's not often that I claim something is a "must read", in fact, I'm pretty sure this is the first time here on NegativeMode that I have ever used that phrase. Well, here it is, your first official must read: "Screech" on "Screech".

I know that both NegativeMode and PositiveMode seem to mention Saved by the Bell a lot, and we hope that you bear with us, but it's for good reason: this was a show that most people our age (twentysomethings) watched every Saturday morning growing up. It was a favorite. It is also currently shown on TBS every morning at from 7-8 am, when many of us are getting ready for work/school/etc. In short, it's hilarious (both intentional and unintentional comedy), it's entertaining, it's nostalgic. I love all things SBTB, and I know many of you do too, so you could only imagine my glee when DJ Skuggs brought the aforementioned article to my attention. It's the transcript from a live chat with Dustin Diamond, a.k.a. "Screech" on 4.28.05 on WashingtonPost.com.

While the whole article is absolutely priceless, most notably for Screech's clear hostility towards anything SBTB related, the real diamond (pun intended) comes from what appears to be Screech's pure, unadulterated, loathing of Slater (Mario Lopez). Here are some of Screech's not so subtle comments:

On a fight scene between Zac and Slater: "When you mix adolescent youth - steroids - and unrequited love, you have a recipe for comedy."

On whether he keeps in touch with the SBTB cast: "I don't visit the unemployment office that much. I live in Wisconsin now so I don't get a chance to see them that often, unless my comedy tour takes me to Cali. Still there is no guarantee that I will be able to get onto the set of Pet Star (shitty show on Animal Planet hosted by Slater).

On the DC mascot "Screech" and whether he misses Slater (the answer doesn't make sense other than the attack on Lopez):
"The Washington Slaters would be cool but the whole team would have to cheat on their wives."

On Slater hosting the male equivalent of "The View": "Acting is just that, acting. Pretending. The catch is, a lot of these Hollywood star types are doing they're best acting off stage. I pretend to be dorky on screen for a job. They pretend to be strong and confident to get through the day.

As you can see, there is clearly some tension (hysterical tension) between Screech and Slater. Again, I can't tell you how great the entire article is, from the Slater insults, to how much Mr. Belding can drink on the set, to how the "real" Screech would kick Zack's ass, etc., etc. Screech also manages to mention his website www.TrustTheDust.com (seriously) several hundred times. Unfortunately, it's not up and running right now, because he's doing the whole thing himself and he hasn't yet figured out how to make a website. Oh, Screech, how we love ye. . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i do enjoy the new crinkled paper background. it is much better than the matzah background. the blog is evolving beautifully, just like the caterpillar that becomes a butterfly.

Anonymous said...

I like the comments about the new mascot Screech. They feel about Screech the way I felt about the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Mascot "Izzy"...or "Whatizit?"

Izzy looked like a squirt of Crest Sparkle toothpaste...it put a damper on the whole Olympic experience for me.

Another mascot of some note...the nutria(or swamp rat) "Boudreaux" mascot of the New Orleans Zephyrs.
Best mascot ever!