Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Sehr Gut Auf München

I am now in Munich (as our basterdized American tounges would pronounce it). The trainride from Prague was lovely. It really was a nice train ride except for one minor incident Mia had with an angry German woman over the openness of our window. Luckily for us, we had no clue what she was saying, so we ignored her. Anywho. . . .

The first night in Munich was fairly uneventful. We walked around a little and then went to have an authentic German dinner. We thought we were going to a huge beer hall, but it turned out to be a tiny German restaurant with no English-speaking staff or menu. However, PositiveMode and I were able to use our pre-kindergarden knowledge of German to skillfully intergrate ourselves into German society. Dinner was quite good, but unfortuantely, I have absolutely no idea what I ate. It was called Putinsteak (I think that's spelled correctly) and I was expecting cow. Instead, it looked like chicken/pork/turkey. The best way I can describe it is that it looked like my mother's turkey steaks from when I was little, but I guess that's of no help for those of you who aren't in my immediate family. Anyway, whatever the meat was, it was actually excellent. The beer is also very good and big.

The next day FianceMode returned to America, and PositiveMode and I wandered around Munich. The only notable event was our lunch at the Kartoffelhaus (literally, "pototo house"). Those of you who know me know that there is ablsolutely nothing I'd rather eat than anything concocted out of potatoes. It's some sort of disease. I ordered what amounted to be potatos au gratin with spinach, and I'd have to say that it was probably the best meal I've had while in Europe. Later that night we went to the Haufbrauhaus for dinner. Very enjoyable. For those that don't know it is a massive beer hall in Munich that serves liter beers while an oompah band plays loud German music. There, I had the "meatloaf" which I can best describe as a fresh hotdog (not a beef hotdog, a real hotdog, i.e., mix of chicken, beef, pork, etc.). It was also really good, but I have an unnatural liking for hotdogs. In summation, I love German food. Meat, potatos, beer. Three of my favorite things.

Today, PostiveMode and I went on an adventure. We have to go eat dinner now, so I can only give you the abbreviated story (which unfortuantely leaves out the funniest/gayest part) but I promise to give the full story in the next day or two. Short version -- we rented motorcycles, rode south of Munich to the "fairytale" castle (looks like a real version of the DisneyWorld castle) then headed south into the Austrian Alps. Rode through the Alps, back into the German Alps, and then back to Munich. All in all, it was about an eight hour loop through the most beautiful place I have ever seen. It was a beautiful day and the roads were wonderful on a motorcycle. I'll post some great pictures of the trip later.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get some hotdog meatloaf, potatos, and beer. Tschus!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You and Bill are a riot! I hope Germany survives your visit.