Thursday, June 02, 2005

A Bit of Nostalgia....



When I was a kid, my absolute favorite toys in the whole world were my Matchbox cars. I played with them at every chance I got, and every time I left the house I took a few along with me. At one point, I had a collection of probably over one-hundred of these tiny vehicles (I actually still have three in my current "big-boy" apartment). There wasn't a day that went by in my youth that I didn't spend playing with my Matchbox cars (I never played with HotWheels toy cars. I don't know what it was, but I just didn't like them as much.).

Anyway, one of the founders/inventors/creators of Matchbox Cars, Leslie Smith passed away on Monday (5/30/2005). This article/obituary in the UK Times Online chronicles the creation, production, and world-wide popularity of those wonderful toys from my childhood. I'm sure others of you out there had the same love and fascination with them as I did. Just want to say "thanks" Leslie. . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had matchbox cars. I collected this "classic" series for a summer. All the old style Cadillac, Camaro, Mustang...

At the same time I was obsessed with my western style capguns.

Out of the two hobbies, the cars got confiscated less.