Friday, April 29, 2005

Positive Pronouncement Pleases Pennsylvania Parking Perpetrators

Chuck Pascal is NegativeMode's hero of the day (on a side note, I am NegativeMode's alliteration-hero of the day, which, while not as prestigous, is still a-okay) Why? He challenged a $5 parking ticket in Butler, Pennsylvania, won, and took down the whole system in the process. According to Pittsburgh's WTAE-TV:
Pascal showed that Butler was in violation of a state law that requires parking meters to be certified as accurate every three years. Now, cities and towns are clamoring for the state's Division of Weights and Measures to certify their meters. The division, which has to inspect everything from gasoline pumps to delicatessen scales, is overwhelmed. Butler has stopped writing tickets until its meters are certified. So has Erie, at a cost of $2,000 a day in fines. At least two dozen municipalities are waiting for certification.
As far as I am concerned, that is simply brilliant. I get, on average, about one $30 parking ticket a month in DC, and I fight a good 50% of them, usually for some b.s. reason I come up with that day. I have yet to win one (I did get a parking violation in Arlington, VA thrown out through the use of my b.s.ing techniques). Unfortuantely, DC does not have such a regulation, not that I would have been smart enough to challenge a parking ticket on those grounds anyway.

So, to my loyal Keystone State readers: challenge those parking meter tickets, it looks like a pretty good way to save some money, and to the rest of you, check your local code to see if your state has a similar law. I, on the other hand, will continue my elaborate and cockamamy ruses in an attempt to avoid anymore meter violations, most likely, without any luck....

No comments: